To be able to fly an airplane in the sky, a pilot needs to have a license. This is one essential document that a pilot needs to get before heading to the first flight. Depending on the job and the type of airplane he has to fly, he would need to get a license.
This article will list the different types of pilot licenses to help you choose the right license for your job needs.
Student Pilot Certificate
This is the license you need when you are learning to fly. It allows you to fly with an instructor.
There are some eligibility requirements to get this license.
- He should be at least sixteen years of age
- He should be able to read/understand/speak English
- He should furnish his identity proof such as a driver’s license, state ID, or passport
Flightliteracy.com is a popular place to find an incredible source of high-quality learning resources on aviation. The website offers lucid and well research information in the form of manuals and documents.
Sport Pilot Certificate
- After the pilot completes his training, this license permits him to fly specific types of airplanes like light-sport aircraft. Such type of airplane is characterized by the one that has only two seats.
- Night flying is not permitted
- However, to get this license, it is required for a pilot to have completed 20 hours of flight time. A pilot has to pass the FAA knowledge test for light sport aircraft and general aeronautics.
Recreational Pilot Certificate
- This pilot certificate enables you to fly airplanes that are light in weight and are driven by single engines.
- It enables you to fly without having to attend a flight school.
- A pilot should fly them only during the night and remain within fifty miles of the aerodrome from which you leave
- This license is ideal for those who wish to fly for a little recreational purpose. it is also beneficial for farmers who want to perform crop-dusting within a fifty-mile radius of their farms.
Read also: What to do on holiday in Llandudno?
Private Pilot Certificate
- This license is similar to a permanent license.
- This license permits the pilot to clear most kinds of commercially available airplanes that are intended for personal use.
- There are restrictions on flying in adverse weather conditions
- The license takes at least 40 hours to complete. A pilot has to take mandatory training of at least 20 hours with an instructor.
Commercial Pilot Certificate
As the name suggests, this license allows you to make money by flying.
There is a restriction on the type of airplane that a pilot can choose to fly an airplane. The license permits to fly specific airplanes that include a charter, tow banner, similar craft, and a freight plane.
There are certain eligibility criteria to meet to get this license. A pilot has to be 18 years old, has a private pilot license, trained with an official instructor, has passed FAA knowledge test and medical clearances, and undergo a minimum of 250 hours of flight time.
So we have seen that a pilot license/certification comes in various forms to meet the requirements of a job. It will need due diligence and research on your part to understand the different types of licenses.