Houseflies are a nuisance even if they are ¼” long and tiny. You can find them almost everywhere. They lay eggs on the garbage, animal feces, and rotting organic material. Housefly infestation is a major concern because it spreads diseases. There are some easy and safe ways to avoid infestation or avert such occurrences.
Common diseases that houseflies spread
Houseflies carry bacteria and viruses, which spread through their bites and from the surfaces they sit.
Some common diseases houseflies spread are –
- Food poisoning
- Eye infection
Homeowners can install fly screens on their doors and windows to prevent the invasion of houseflies and other insects. FlyScreenDirect screens are designed from robust aluminum with scratch-resistant coating. For more than 25 years the professionals have been serving the residential and commercial sector around the UK.
Certain natural ways to eliminate houseflies without pesticides
Flowers & herbs
Some flowers and herbs repel flies. Plant them in your garden to keep houseflies away.
- Bay leaves
Some of them are good herbs you can also use for cooking.
Dish soap and vinegar
Mix dish soap and vinegar in a tall white glass and cover with plastic wrap. Secure the wrap with a rubber band. Poke tiny holes on the top surface of plastic wrap. The vinegar attracts flies and they move through the holes. The dish soap traps and makes them sink.
Water and cayenne pepper
Mix water and cayenne pepper thoroughly and fill it in a spray bottle. Spray around the house and see how cayenne pepper repels the flies away.
You may also like: A Few Basic Information about Fly Screen Door
Natural trap baits
Foods and drinks like sugar, fruit, wine, meat, etc. can be used to attract flies in a trap.
Outdoors you can use insecticides but flies develop resistance over time. So, use sticky traps or hang sticky paper strips around the house to lessen the infestation. You can even plant Venus flytrap plants on your porch.
What attracts flies?
Houseflies are attracted to materials, which allow them to lay eggs. It includes –
- Rotting material like garbage and food waste
- Animal feces
Even bright lights attract flies.
You may also like: How to Use Canvas Prints for Home Decoration
Proactive measures to prevent housefly infestation
Prevention is the best solution to avert the occurrence of housefly infestation. Ensure there are no areas that attract them to lay eggs.
- Ensure that the house vents, doors, and windows are properly sealed. There are no damages or holes but the best solution is to install fly screens and enjoy proper ventilation and natural light.
- The garbage can must have a tight lid. As soon as the bag is full take it out.
- Never leave dirty cups, saucers, dishes, and glasses on the counter.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- At night, switch off outdoor lights.
- Never leave leaves or grass clippings to decay near the house.
- If you have a pet then clean their feces, right away.
- Avoid killing rodents with rat poison, as the carcasses attract flies.
Housefly infestations are hazardous to health. Keep your house clean on the inside and outside to avert insects. In case, infestation occurs use natural trapping methods or call pest control services.