As we know moderate use of anything does not cause much harm to us, the same goes with alcohol too. People consume alcohol only on occasions to celebrate or relax. However, when it becomes a habit then this is going to be life-threatening too. Just like alcohol poisoning can happen when there is a rise in the amount of alcohol in the blood level.
What is Alcohol poisoning?
Alcohol poisoning can be caused by beer, wine, and even liquor. This happens when you drink too much in a shorter period of time. As alcohol enters your body, the stomach digests and absorbs the alcohol which then enters your bloodstream. The liver breaks down the alcohol, but when the alcohol level rises, it becomes difficult for the liver to break down quickly and the inability to remove the toxins from the body can lead to extra alcohol being present in the bloodstream, which eventually becomes a depressant.
This doesn’t let your body function normally and it affects different functions of our body like breathing, heart rate, blood pressure, and temperature.
Who are at risk?
Anyone can be at risk of alcohol poisoning. It will all depend on the following factors:
- The amount of food present in his stomach
- Previous drinking experience.
If you see someone having alcohol poisoning then you need to contact the emergency department 911. The sooner you get the treatment, the faster the recovery will be, but before that you need to act smartly:
- Do not leave the person alone to avoid falling and getting injured
- Make him sit upright to avoid choking
- If he wants to vomit, make him lean forward to prevent choking.
- If he is unconscious, turn him to one side with his ears on the ground to avoid choking.
If you or your loved one has a drinking problem then you can seek help. There are rehabs made for drugs and alcohol addiction that can help you get you being sober. The boardwalk recovery center is one of the best alcohol addiction treatments San Diego, CA. Their staff is experienced and will work along with you, till you obtain sobriety and start living a normal life free from drugs and alcohol.
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:
- Vomiting, choking, and seizures
- Irregular heartbeat and breathing
- Turning pale or bluish
- Unable to control bowel movement or bladder
How to treat this?
The doctor can check the person’s alcohol content by checking through a breathalyzer and blood tests, which will tell the amount of alcohol content present in the blood. In this situation, immediate actions to be taken include:
- IV fluids: Immediate IV fluids are given to treat dehydration. This will also increase the blood sugar level.
- Oxygen: This is given through a nasal cannula. A small tube may be inserted into the windpipe if the person has trouble breathing.
- Stomach pumping: A tube will be used to remove toxins from the stomach
- Blood filtration: If there is a kidney failure, then dialysis would be done to clear alcohol from the blood.